Remember that all children are individuals and develop at their own pace. This checklist should be used only to get a general sense for where your child is or where he is heading. If you have any concerns about your child’s development, consult with your physician.
- Rides a tricycle
- Copies a circle
- Puts on shirt
- Helps button clothes
- Balances on one foot
- Does a broad jump
- May resist being carried and/or riding in stroller
- Throws and sometimes catches balls, beanbags, etc.
- Walks up and down stairs by placing both feet on each step
- Easily frustrated, prone to small physical accidents (spilling milk, turning chairs over, etc.)
- Can name colours
- Begins fantasy play
- May become concerned with orderliness
- Knows his or her sex
- Locates and names body parts
- May exhibit curiosity about masturbation
- Understands cause and effect
- Attention span begins to lengthen; can do activities that take some time and concentration
- Memory span increases: remembers last week, a month ago, last time Grandma visited
Social And Emotional Development
- May begin playing cooperatively with other children
- Begins sharing toys
- Develops rivalry with siblings
- Often shows favouritism towards one parent
- Still very attached to parents
- Interested in peers
- Uses three-word sentences
- Answers simple questions
- Understands role of adjectives
Here are some toys to help boost your child’s development
Fisher-Price® Little People® Caring for Animals Farm
A cow, a chicken, and a horse walk into a barn… it’s the pig’s birthday, and she wants to celebrate! Kids can discover all sorts of fun on the farm with the Little People® Caring for Animals Farm playset from Fisher-Price. With this action-packed playset toddlers can help the farmer care for all their animal friends, from hatching chicks, to tucking in the horse for its nap, and showing the pig and cow how to take turns dropping through the hayloft. And as little farmers play and explore, fun songs, sounds and phrases introduce counting, colors, animal sounds and more with three Smart Stages™ levels that grow along with your child. Click HERE for more info.
Little People® Sit with Me School Bus
Get little ones excited about transport with the Little People® Sit with Me School Bus! Get the fun started by pressing the Discovery Button to flip open the stop sign and pop open the door to let on passengers. Bus Driver Emily™ is ready to greet little Eddie™ and wish him a great day as he heads to school. Place Bus Driver Emily™ in the driver’s seat to hear fun songs and sounds, and then roll the bus along to hit the road! Toddlers can even help Eddie™ make new friends by bringing more Little People® characters to the bus and seating them all together! Additional figures sold separately. Click HERE for more info.
By Dr. Bettye M. Caldwell Ph.D Professor of Pediatrics in Child Development and Education.