These fritters will take you back to your childhood. Some people choose to serve them as a breakfast treat or dessert, or even as a vegetable to be served with dinner! What better way to get your little ones to eat their veggies than with these delicious pumpkin fritters?
Makes about 16
- 2 cups pumpkin, cooked and mashed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 50ml milk
- Cinnamon sugar
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Lightly beat the eggs in a mixing bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients by hand. The consistency of the batter will be stiffer than that of the sweetcorn fritters recipe.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-based pot for deep frying. The oil in your pot should be at least 4cm deep.
- Only once the oil is hot – if you have a thermometer, your temperature should be between 190°C and 225°C – spoon fritter-sized portions into the pot, keeping them separated to prevent them sticking together.
- Flip them over so both sides turn golden brown. Set them on some paper towel to absorb excess oil and serve as soon as possible, sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon sugar.