Music is a great way to bring the family together, so why not put the binge-watching to one side and get your family jam on with a music streaming app like Spotify? Whether you’re cooking dinner, relaxing or having a dance party in the living room, the music can lift the spirits or help get you through the mundane tasks, especially during the lockdown.
A study conducted by Spotify in April focused on moms and how they are using music to cope with the lockdown:
- How are moms feeling? 67% of respondents said they’re taking things one day at a time, while 30% described their current mood as “frustrated” and another 30% said they were “anxious.” 35% of moms say they have cried along to a song in the last month.
- Moms are bonding with their kids through listening to music. 78% of moms say music has helped them connect with their children over the past month.
- Podcasts are also helping moms connect with their kids: 33% of moms say they’ve listened to podcasts such as Story Pirates with their kids to help them laugh, take a break from screen time or for educational learning.
- Moms also value their own listening time: More than 50% of survey respondents said that they are over listening to the content their kids want to listen to. And because sometimes Mom just needs some alone time:
- 34% of moms say in the last month they’ve taken a car ride to nowhere so they could blast their favourite music.
- 34% say they escape to their bedroom when they want to listen on their own, while 30% opt for a long walk.
- 53% of respondents said they’d turned on music in the past month in an attempt to tune out their family. (And can you blame them!)
- Moms like pop: Pop is the genre most moms are gravitating towards at the moment, with 38% surveyed choosing it, while 14% are rock these days and 13% prefer country.
- Moms miss their own moms and BFFs: When asked who would be their dream podcast co-host, 35% said they’d choose their mom, best friend or grandma over celebrities.
- Moms love a good dance party: More than 40% of moms have started a dance party within the past month, whether by themselves or with family.
- Moms are multitasking masters: At least 81% of moms are multitasking when streaming their favourite music or podcasts – most frequently doing chores, cooking or working out while listening.
A new family package
The newly launched Spotify Premium Family gives families uninterrupted access to over 50 million tracks, as well as one million podcast titles through their individual Spotify Premium account. This means that every family member can save their favourites and receive recommendations tailored to their listening preferences.
Families members living under one roof can get up to six Premium accounts for a bundled rate of R99.99.
“… every family member can save their favourites and receive recommendations tailored to their listening preferences.”
Here are a few other things your entire household – parents, siblings, grandparents, maybe even the dog – can look forward to:
- Family Mix: Families can enjoy exclusive access to a personalised playlist packed with songs the whole family enjoys. Family Mix is updated regularly, and you can control who is in each session to optimise your family’s favourite shared listening moments.
- Parental Controls: Parents will also be able to control the Explicit Content Filter setting of all other accounts on their plan.
- Family Hub: Billing users can manage their family’s settings in one place, including adding or removing family members, keeping your home address up to date, and adjusting your parental controls.
How to get “Spotified”
Simply visit spotify.com/za/family, follow the steps to create your Premium Family account, and invite family members you live with. Current users are eligible for the first month of Spotify Premium Family for free, and existing individual Premium subscribers can switch to Spotify Premium Family by visiting their account page and changing their subscription. If you haven’t already, you can download the Spotify app via the Android or iOS app store or by heading to www.spotify.com.