Television chef Siphokazi Mdlankomo says this easy one-pan meal is ideal for when you are caught up in a busy week but still need to feed the family. She calls it her “weeknight supper surprise”.
Cook time 35-40 minutes
You will need:
- 8 chicken thighs
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chicken spice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 x 200 g packet bacon of your choice, chopped and fried until crispy
- 1 x 300 g punnet or pack of baby tomatoes
- a handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 x 410 g cans cannellini beans (do not drain or rinse)
- 1 green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO TRY: Easy-peasy chicken meatball pasta recipe
How to make the one-pot-wonder chicken
1 Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Place the chicken in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Season with the chicken spice, salt and pepper. Then rub the chicken so the spices are absorbed into the oil to coat the chicken all over.
2 Spread the onion slices over the bottom of a large casserole dish. Spread the fried bacon, tomatoes, basil, garlic, beans and chilli evenly on top of the onions.
3 Lastly, arrange the potato slices on top of the base mixture and season with more salt. Place the chicken on top and cover the dish.
4 Bake for 35–40 minutes. Serve with a fresh salad.
Recipe extract taken from Hearty Home Food with Sipho by Siphokazi Mdlankomo (Human & Rousseau – an imprint of NB Publishers)