Watching a child relishing a fresh, juicy, sweet plum or peach is a sight to behold – it would make anyone smile – your kids will love these stone-fruit bars.
Makes 14 bars. Recipe by Jenny Morris
You will need:
250ml light brown sugar
60ml golden syrup
625ml rolled oats
125ml pecan nuts, chopped
80ml sunflower seeds
1 large fresh South African nectarine, stoned and thinly sliced
2 fresh South African nectarines, stoned and thinly sliced
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO TRY: Zola Nene’s nectarine, maple syrup and yoghurt popsicles
How to make the fruit bars
- Heat the oven to 175. Grease and line an 18cm x 28cm x 4cm deep baking tin.
- Heat the sugar, golden syrup and butter together in a saucepan over low heat until the butter is melted.
- Stir in the oats, pecan nuts, cranberries and sunflower seeds until well combined.
- Spoon half the mixture into the prepared baking tin. Arrange the fruit on top overlapping them slightly.
- Spoon the remaining oat mixture on top and spread out evenly. Use the back of a spoon or a potato masher and press down firmly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool completely before cutting into bars using a sharp knife.
For more inspiration, visit www.juicydelicious.co.za