The 22nd of March 2022 marked the beginning of World Doula Week under the theme “Doulas make a difference.” This is observed until the 28th of March each year.
Doula Tamryn Schmahl of Shaktibirths joined us on an Instagram live to celebrate the essential work that doulas are part of. Tamryn is a birth and postpartum doula and a hypnobirthing educator. As a mom herself, she believes that doulas are the perfect people to hold the hands of birthing women and their partners because they know what they need during their journey.
Getting clients in their 8th week of pregnancy and 39th week, Tamryn is always open to creating valuable and long-lasting relationships with pregnant woman and their partners. A doula is not a medical professional, so the relationship with one is based on connection and trust.
For World Doula Week, Tamryn answered questions including:
- Why is birth support an important part of the labouring journey?
- How do doulas affect c-section rates and the use of pain killers during childbirth?
- Which South African medical aids cover the services of a doula?
- How do doulas help dads in the pregnancy journey and during birth?
- Where can people go when they are looking for a doula?
- How often can I access my doula?
Watch the full conversation here:
View this post on Instagram