Elf on a Shelf: What it it is, where to buy one and ideas.
What is Elf on the Shelf and how does it work?
Elf on the Shelf is based on a 2005 storybook. Santa sends out Scout Elves and they report back to Santa daily telling him who is naughty or nice.
When does Elf on the Shelf arrive? Elf arrives at the beginning of the holidays and returns to the North Pole on Christmas Eve (24th Dec). The elves usually visit for a week (23 Nov – 1 Dec), but can come at any time during the holidays. We like the week before Christmas because it acts as a countdown too.
How does Elf on the Shelf work? The elf arrives and then there are 6 countdown days where the kids have to find the elf. The elf does naughty things and goes back on the 24th of Dec. Parents put the elf in different situations (scroll down for some ideas).
The rules of Elf on the Shelf
- Don’t touch the elf or it will lose its magic.
- The elf can’t talk but they are great listeners.
Where can I buy Elf on the Shelf in South Africa?
The original Elf on a Shelf with the book will cost about R500, but you can get single elves for under R100 and they do the job just as well. 😃
Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
When it comes to Elf on the Shelf, we’d recommend keeping it simple. It will still be fun (for you and the kids) and you’ll keep your sanity.
- Put the elf of the couch to watch TV. The remote is essential, but the popcorn is optional.
- Put the elf in the bathroom – add a razor and shaving cream, inside a toilet roll placed on the sink or sitting on the closed toilet seat.
- Let the elf play a game that your family likes to play e.g. Twister, cards, Monopoly.
- Put the elf in a packet of food e.g. M&Ms, Astros, breakfast cereal, a bag of chips, and make sure only his feet are sticking out.
- Let the elf hang out with the children’s other toys – from Paw Patrol, Peppa Pig to Barbie and even the Ninja Turtles, the elf is now part of the gang.
- Put the elf inside a roll of toilet paper and cover the Christmas tree with TP or throw it and see where it lands
- Put the elf in some flour or sprinkles and make snow angels.
And if you’re familiar with Elf on the Shelf but just can’t be bothered, put Elf in quarantine. You can thank us (and 2020) later. 😜😜😜