Life seems to move at such a fast pace these days, it can get completely overwhelming – especially for moms. That’s why I’ve put together this list of 10 game-changing make-up, skincare and haircare hacks, so there’s one less thing for you to worry about.
- No time (or energy!) to wash your face? Meet your new best beauty buy: Micellar water. It works like a magnet; apply to a cotton pad and wipe all over your face – it instantly lifts foundation and mascara (or anything, really) without drying out your skin.
- Breakouts happen to all of us, and it’s usually at the least convenient time. If you’ve woken up with a dreaded pimple, almond oil works wonders as a spot treatment. And, in a pinch, doubles up as a make-up remover, getting rid of even the most stubborn lipstick stains in one swipe.
- No time to wash your hair? No problem! Dry shampoo is your best friend – especially the tinted ones. They freshen up your roots while giving your tresses a volume boost and a glossy finish. And if you’re dealing with split ends and uncontrollable flyaways, warm a little coconut oil in your hands and rub it into the tips to nourish and condition.YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: 5 easy DIY face masks you can make at home
- Do you have grey hairs peeking through, and you’re only going to the hairdresser next week for colour? Use a black mascara on the grey hairs. They’re gone in a second.
- Woken up with dark circles and puffy undereyes? First, use a good quality corrector like a red concealer. The red counteracts the dark blue undertones and your bags will be far less noticeable. Then you’ll need to take your regular concealer (this should always be a shade or two lighter than your skin tone) to brighten. The secret to perfect undereye concealer is to apply it in an upside down triangle shape from the bottom of your eye to your nose area – and make sure to blend the colour upwards.
- Thinning hair? One of my favourite hacks is to apply an eyeshadow the same shade as my hair colour to thinning areas of my hairline and roots. By using a powder shadow you’re creating the illusion not only of fuller hair, but thicker too. Plus, it’s quick and easy.ALSO SEE: How to make homemade stretchmark oil
- Just done your nails and need to dash off to pick up the kids from school? Take a bowl of ice-cold water and put your hands in there for a minute . They will be touch-dry instantly (yes, I promise this works!).
- Bronzing or contouring your face can seem intimidating but there’s a trick to it. Shape your face in seconds by looking in the mirror and saying “OOOH”. I know it sound funny, but it works. By saying “OOOH”, your natural cheek bones will appear and you can see exactly where to apply your bronzer.
- No time to spend on the perfect winged eyeliner? Take a business card and place it on the side of the eye where the wing naturally goes. Then simply take an eye pencil or liner and trace the line on the card. Remove the card and connect the wing to the lid – easy!
- If you don’t have time to wait for your instant tan to dry then here’s what to do: spray it on to your body then take a big fluffy makeup brush and buff it into the skin in circular motions. Not only does this make it look airbrushed on, it also lasts for days.
DON’T MISS: If wearing a mask is making your skin break out, you NEED to read this
I hope that these smart beauty hacks make the lives of all moms a bit easier, and that they add a touch of sparkle, because every mom deserves to sparkle and shine.
Mandi Strimling is a South African-based journalist, blogger, social media influencer, and media personality. She owns the website, Rave Review, which has fast become South Africa’s favourite online accessory. Mandi is also a content creator, has an addiction to make-up and sports, and a soft spot for a good cheesecake.