In the age of cell phone cameras and selfie sticks, is there still a need for professional photographers to help capture those perfect family moments? The answer is yes. We asked Robyn Davie who specialises in lifestyle family sessions for her top tips to get those perfect family snaps.
Davie’s fresh, bold and bright style of photography is all about capturing your gorgeous memories and moments in the most emotive, beautiful way possible.
- Always snap your family photos during magic hour – that beautiful time around sunrise or sunset when the light is soft, warm and flattering! This means fewer wrinkles, less eye-watering-blinking-into-the-sun, and a fab glow to your pics.
- You know your kids better than anyone. If they’ve had a rough night or are feeling under the weather it’s going to be really hard to coax a smile out of them.
- I always say happy, well-rested kids make for happier photos. Rather reschedule if they’re having a bad day, and make sure your photo shoot day isn’t overloaded with lots of other activities that will tire them out.
- Let your kids just be kids. They’re going to get really bored smiling for the camera, so I always encourage a lot of fun, tickling and running around during a photo shoot. We do awesome things like climbing trees, blowing bubbles and getting dad to throw the little ones in the air to get the best, most genuine smiles, and that’s what I love!
- For the moms: your kids love you just the way you are – every smile line, every wrinkle, every little part of you. They will always remember you the way you are right now – strong, brave, loving and everything they need in the world. Take a deep breath, let go of your insecurities and bathe in their love for an afternoon. It will really show in the final photos.
Images credit: Robyn Davie Photography
Robyn Davie is a photographer from Johannesburg, specialising in lifestyle family sessions. Over the past six years, she’s built her business up from being a one-woman show to a team of nine, with an office manager, six associate photographers and a couple of editors. The whole team focuses on capturing natural, real moments in the most beautiful light possible, and together they cover a wide range of photo assignments from everything family related, to events, baby showers, and engagements, to corporate requirements such as headshots and personal branding sessions, to product shoots and so much more. Visit Robyn Davie Photography or find them on Facebook and Instagram.